Do you know the difference between a good and an average craftsman? If you are thinking about the skill set then you are wrong here. This article comprises must have woodworking tools that will help you greatly in craftsmanship.
You must know that a craftsman or a woodworker deals with a variety of different tools to craft different articles. These tools are what make the individual a good craftsman. Hence, tools are the priority of every craftsman.
If you are a beginner and want to become good at woodworking, you must improve your experience with the craft from day one using the right tools. If you don’t know which tools to start with and get for your woodworking shop, this article is for you.
In this article, I have discussed the top 17 must-have woodworking tools for your shop. You will find their importance, types, and the best recommendation to buy. So, let’s start.
17 Must-Have Tools For Your Woodworking Shop
As a woodworking specialist, below is a quick guide on the must-have woodworking tools for beginners you must buy for your shop. Note that the following list includes the basic woodworking tools and not the entire list. Depending upon your level of work and other projects, you would require more machines or tools apart from the ones listed below.
A table saw is also called a saw bench or flat bench saw. It’s one of the most important tools for a woodworking shop that consists of a circular saw blade mounted on an arbor. It’s used to rip cuts through pieces of wood using a universal motor or drive belt to form different wood articles.
A table saw comes in different types for different woodworks. For example, the most popular types of table saws are:
- Benchtop: As the name suggests, a benchtop is placed over the top of the table or bench for different operations. It’s lightweight and portable. Besides a woodworker, a benchtop is also popular among homeowners and DIYers. Being compact, a benchtop has parts made of plastic, steel, and aluminum.
- Jobsite: Another popular table saw is the job site. It’s slightly larger than the benchtop. Due to this, it is mostly placed on a folding or stationary stand. Since it’s bigger and heavy, the Jobsite table saw is popular among carpenters and contractors on the job site.
- Compact table saw: As the name suggests, a compact table saw is much smaller and lightweight than any other table saw in the market. It has universal motors and a drive belt for quick operations.
- Hybrid table saw: This hybrid table saw is a combination of a contractor saw, and a cabinet saw.
- Contractor table saw: It’s the biggest table saw that is perfect for large, heavy, and complex jobs.
- Cabinet table saw: Cabinet saw is ideal for minimizing the vibration during the work as its mechanism reduces the noise & vibrations to a great extent.
- Sliding table saw: A sliding table saw is also popular as a European table saw. It’s useful for huge wooden boards. Due to its multiple parts, it’s the most expensive table saw in the market.
- Mini & Micro: As the name suggests, a mini table saw is the smallest saw in the market with a 4-inch diameter blade. It’s usually used for cutting hard materials in less time.
The Dewalt DWE7491RS 10-inch table saw is one of the best table saws with a huge 10-inch cutting blade and rolling stand for easy movements. It’s portable, compact, and lightweight. Furthermore, it comes with the rack & pinion telescoping fence system.
If you want multiple cuts in the wood at different angles, you should consider a miter saw. It’s a special tool with the blade mounted over a swinging arm that lets you make different angle cuts. A miter saw is popular for articles such as picture frames, door frames, window casings, and much more. It has the following types.
- Sliding miter saw: As the name suggests, a sliding miter saw has a sliding rail that allows the blade moves back and forth for cutting. Due to it, you get deeper cuts with precision.
- Compound miter saw: A compound miter saw consists of both a bevel and miter. Hence, it can easily make bevel cuts besides mitering.
- Compound sliding miter saw: A compound sliding miter saw lets you make deeper bevel cuts. However, a compound miter saw isn’t a great option if you have limited space in your woodworking shop.
- Dual compound sliding miter saw: In this type of miter table saw, you get a miter table, sliding rails, and dual beveling.
If you are looking for the best miter saws, you should check out the BOSCH CM10GD compact miter saw. Its high accuracy allows wider cross-cuts with better alignment. It has a large and easy-to-grip handle with a 60-tooth carbide saw blade.
A circular saw is another common tool you must have in your woodworking shop. It consists of a toothed or abrasive disc or circular blade. It cuts through a material with ease due to its rotational motion around the arbor. However, it’s unique to the rotational motion of a hole and ring saw. A circular table saw has the following main types.
- Worm Drive Circular Saw: In this, the blade is positioned at the left side with the weight on the right. Furthermore, a worm drive circular saw is often longer and much heavier.
- In-line circular saw: An in-line circular saw is also popular as the sidewinder saw. It uses spur gear for cutting purposes. Also, its blade is almost parallel to the motor.
- Metal Cutting Circular Saw: A metal cutting circular saw is used for cutting hard metals.
The DEWALT DWE575SB circular saw is one of the best circular saws with a 7-¼-inch blade and electric brake. With a weight of just 8.8lbs, it’s among the lightest table saws that are known for its compact & lightweight design.
If you are looking for a tool for woodworking, metalworking, and lumbering, consider a band saw. It’s a power saw with a continuous band of toothed metal, which is very sharp and powerful. A band saw ensures highly accurate cuts, including irregular, straight edge, or curved shapes. It has the following main types.
- Vertical band saw: A vertical band saw uses a powerful motor to cut materials with great precision. There are two wheels above and under the blade. The former is called an idler, and the latter is known as the drive wheel.
- Horizontal band saw: A horizontal band saw cuts the material in the horizontal direction. The main features of the horizontal band saw are its quiet operation, accurate cuts, and size.
- Wood band saw: The wood band saw is portable, user-friendly, and the first choice for beginners. It has further three types – head saw, double-cut saw, and resaw.
The Shop Fox W1706 bandsaw is the best band saw with cast iron blades, frame, and table. It has a decent table capacity and powerful and sharp blades of 93-1/2-inch. The motor speed is as high as 1725 RPM with a total of 24 teeth for greater precision while cutting.
You would know that every wooden article must be smooth to touch and appearance. To smoothen the surface of any wooden item, an orbital sander is the best option out there. It not only saves your time but lets you give a fine finish to your woodworking projects.
The following are the most common types of orbital sanders for your woodworking shop.
- Belt sander: In a belt sander, there is a long belt that removes roughness from large materials in a short time.
- Disc sander: As the name suggests, a disc sander consists of a disc-shaped sanding pad with an abrasive. It’s of two types – hand-held disc sander and benchtop disc sander.
- Oscillating Spindle Sander: If you want clear curved or straight edges, this oscillating spindle sander is for you. It consists of a sanding drum over a table or bench.
- Random Orbital Sander: The main difference between a belt sander and a random orbital sander is that in the latter, the blade rotates in smaller orbits with spins.
The BOSCH ROS10 120-volt random orbital sander consists of a pad dampening braking system that prevents swirl marks. It comes with a decent 2.5-ampere motor that delivers around 12,000 OPM for greater accuracy and precision. Not to forget its microcellular backing pad that guarantees fine and smooth finishes in your woodworking project.
A jointer is a modern woodworking machine that produces a flat surface along the length of the wood or other material to use as a butt joint or to glue into the panels. In simple words, a jointer is generally used when you need to join two or more objects together from the sides. It has the following main types.
- Closed-Stand Jointers: It is the most common wood jointer machine you can find. It comes in four standard sizes – 6, 8, 12, and 16 inches. Due to its quiet and clean operation, it’s the first choice of carpenters.
- Open Stand Jointers: Due to its open design, it is a bit noisier. However, it’s compact and easy to carry from one place to another.
- Benchtop Jointers: If your maximum cutting width is 6″, you can go for a benchtop wood jointer. It’s suitable for only small projects.
The PORTER-CABLE benchtop jointer PC160JT allows you to adjust the speed from 6,000 to 11,000 RPMs depending upon the material being cut. Its maximum width is 6-inches. Not to forget its extra-large table for maximum support while joining two wood projects.
A planer or thickness planer is another must-have woodworking tool in your shop. Its main work is to trim the surfaces of boards to a high-quality, consistent thickness throughout their length. Hence, it is called a planer.
The following are the main types of planers you can buy for your woodworking shop and projects.
- Basic hand planer: It’s the basic hand-held planer that requires your muscle power to remove the roughness from the surface to achieve the desired thickness.
- Two-Handed Spokeshave: It’s the modern version of the basic hand planer with two handles and a sharp blade. You can adjust the blade to change the depth of the cut. It has further types such as convex spokeshave, flat bottom spokeshave, round bottom spokeshave, concave spokeshave, and combination spokeshave.
- Surform planer: No, a surform planer isn’t a food grater due to its sharp rim for each hole. It is made out of a perforated sheet of metal.
- Flat-Plane Bottom-Edged planer: This flat-plane bottom-edged planer is suitable for smaller woodworking DIY projects due to its simple and compact design.
Grizzly industrial G1033X planer comes with a powerful 5HP motor and weighs just 880 pounds. The other features of this planer include a heavy-duty cast-iron elevation handwheel, helical cutter head, adjustable bed rollers, and much more.
You cannot overstate the importance of a dust collecting system. Not just for your health but also to maintain your woodshop safe. If you use your equipment regularly and generate a lot of sawdust, you might consider investing in a dust collecting system.
The Oneida dust collector is a low-cost, compact dust collector. It cleans the air by removing 99 percent of dust and dirt. This unit does not choke very frequently, which is usually a bonus. Moreover, it’s so affordable that you can generally fund it again if necessary. Its versatile design makes it easy to use on both wet and dry fabrics. It’s adaptable, working with a range of hoses and attachments.
A necessary piece of equipment for a workplace is a wood router. You can shape the margins of your work using wood routers. Routers come with a range of components, including a router table, allowing for an infinite number of forms. For the most part, a fixed base router will suffice for novices. This will make the cut start and finish at the same level that you specified before making it.
The Makita 1-1/4 HP Compact Router is a compact router that offers performance and accuracy. The machine is designed for various precision routing tasks and has a maximum horsepower of 1-1/4. This router has a streamlined rack-and-pinion fine width adjustment mechanism for more accurate settings and easy-to-read level scales.
With an elevated base design for better handling and efficiency, the fast-release cam lock mechanism allows for simple depth changes and base removal or installation.
Every workshop should include a wood chisel. Chisels aren’t only for woodcarvers; they’re a necessary part of every person’s toolkit. They are essential for cleaning up couplings and saw cuts. The most effective chisels comprise steel. Hardwood grips with metal tops may be an excellent option. When you pound on the end of the handle, the metal caps will prevent it from being deformed.
This GREBSTK chisel set is what you need for your tedious wood projects. Whether you’re a professional carpenter or wood carving is simply a pastime. They help cut down wood, as well as in trimming in design and building tasks. The chisel zipper pack will not only preserve your wood carving tools but will also make them easier to carry about.
Handsaws will always have a place in every woodworker’s workshop. Handsaws are ideal for fast work or when precise, detailed cuts are needed. The advantage of handsaws is that they have no cumbersome weight, awkward cables, or dead batteries. They are always prepared to use and are reasonably priced.
The preferred choice for you might be SUIZAN Japanese Pull Saw Hand Saw. Most people are familiar with European hand tools, which cut objects by pushing them. Thus the name “push saws.” Japanese saws, on the other hand, cut materials by pulling them and are therefore referred to as “pull saws,” which is exactly what this device is. Pull saws are lighter than “push saws,” use less power and produce a cleaner edge than “push saws.”
There is no such object as a standardized hammer for woodworking. A carpenter’s claw hammer is the closest thing to a one-size-fits-all pounding instrument, although there are hundreds of distinct kinds. Typically, woodworking hammers are required to perform two functions, which are to pound and scrape.
Hammers come in a variety of shapes and sizes, as well as different materials. Beginner woodworkers have a lot of options, and they should figure out what they’ll be utilizing their hammers for before buying them.
The TEKTON 16 oz. Hammer is a carefully designed and updated classic that is simple and reliable. Its innovative one-piece handle constitutes three different materials that are mold together. The core is composed of high-strength fiberglass and is almost indestructible.
It’s small and light, and it helps to keep vibrations out of your palm. The center is encased in a durable, impact-absorbing poly coating to protect it from missed blows.
A drill, whether handled or connected to a press, is essential in every workshop. One of the most often used tools is the power drill, which is needed to insert fasteners without breaking the wood. A power drill may also be used with several accessories to increase its flexibility. There are many models to select from, so take your time to find the one that is right for you.
The BLACK+DECKER LDX120C is an excellent option if you want a simple tool that can tackle mild to moderate DIY tasks without spending a lot of money. This cordless drill is tough and robust, with an 11-position clutch that prevents stripped screws.
Work in small places with ease thanks to the tiny, lightweight design, which includes an LED that lights worksurfaces.
You’ll need a woodworking workstation, whether you’re starting a new workshop or expanding an existing one. If there’s one high cost to address as a beginner woodworker, it’s getting a good workbench. Yes, you can build one out of 2x4s and chipboard, but it will never be as functional as a professional-grade, high-quality workbench.
It will be used on every project and at all times. The workstation may be permanent or movable, with retractable or locking casters. When it comes to dimensions, there are no hard and fast rules because workbenches are often built to fit the available space.
The Pegasus is a multi-functional workstation that transforms from a tabletop to a sawhorse in seconds. You can combine it with other Pegasus desks to make a bigger work area, and it has a dual clamping mechanism that firmly holds any item.
The Pegasus work table has a 31″ x 25″ surface that can handle up to 300 lbs. The link-lock mechanism guarantees that your Pegasus table can retain heavier materials without collapsing or bending.
One of the most fundamental woodworking tools is an accurate measuring tape. The measuring tape tool allows you to cut the necessary size with the first level of accuracy. Of course, it’s not as accurate as slide calipers or a screw gauge, but it’ll do for most basic length measurements. The tape is labeled in feet, meters, and centimeters, providing for precision down to the millimeter.
The best tape measure you can come across is Komelon 4912IM Power Tape. It comes with clear markings on both sides and sturdy tape with excellent unassisted reach.
Those who understand how to use a measuring tape will appreciate the wide grab with nail clip and serrated end, as well as the adjustability for interior and exterior measuring advantages! When you combine this with their fast draw method, you won’t have to rummage through your pockets since the clip will always be close at hand.
Sawhorses are yet another essential piece of equipment for every wood workshop or construction project. If you install a sawhorse correctly, it can carry more than 300 pounds of weight. They are also very inexpensive to construct. A sawhorse may be used for a variety of tasks, including providing support while you saw and drill, as well as expanding your work area when utilizing power saws.
Worx WX065 Clamping Sawhorses are durable yet light. They’re simple to carry and can hold up to 1,000 pounds when used together. Worx Clamping Sawhorses can clamp and carry almost anything and travel virtually everywhere. They’re just 4 lbs each (a far cry from ancient, hefty wooden sawhorses), so you can throw them in the trunk or race them up and down the stairs.
These work tables are 27″ x 5″ x 32″ and are the same level as the other work tables, allowing you to utilize them together on the same assignment. They also fold up to just 2.5″ deep, making them easy to store.
Screws are the finest connectors for woodworking in general. They are secure and may be removed for disassembly, temporary joints, or when errors occur. Although you don’t want to be without your regular hand screwdrivers, a motorized screw gun makes putting screws quicker and easier. If you have a task that requires a lot of screws, a screw gun comes in handy.
The DEWALT DCF620B 20V MAX Drywall screw gun is equipped with a motor that provides better performance and long run times. The Li-Ion cell with fuel indicator has a capacity of 33% greater than normal packs. For a wide variety of applications, the screw gun provides better performance and execution speed and efficient torque capabilities. It’s ergonomically built to reduce worker fatigue and provide the best runtime for a range of tasks.
If you are planning to open your woodworking shop or have one operational, you should know that merely your experience or handwork isn’t enough to survive in the woodworking industry. Today, woodworking is more than just drilling holes in the wood or cutting boards. It’s about producing marvelous wooden articles for the customers.
This is not possible without the basic woodworking tools which are easily available in the market. As a woodworking specialist, you must value your tools, and the above must-have woodworking tools are a few of them. The above woodworking tools for beginners are designed to offer you great peace of mind during your projects by taking off a huge chunk of burden.
Hence, go through the above woodworking tools for beginners and their best option as my recommendation for your woodworking shop.
Leave a Reply